The Post of the Registrar of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, will be vacant by 1st June, 2018. In accordance with the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) Amendment Act 2003, which amended the Universities Miscellaneous Act (Decree No. 11 of 1993 as amended by Decree No.25 of 1996), the Governing Council of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife wishes to commence the process for the appointment of a new Registrar for the University.
Consequently, applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position. Interested applicants are requested to note the following information:
The Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, is a first generation comprehensive public institution established in 1961 as The University of Ife, by the then Western Region of Nigeria. In August 1975, the Federal Government of Nigeria took over the University and in 1987 renamed it after Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a frontline Nigerian Statesman and one of the University’s founding fathers. The University is situated on a vast expanse of land totaling 11,861 hectares in Ile-Ife, Osun State, Southwest of Nigeria.
The Vision of the founders of the University was to establish an Institution dedicated to the promotion of learning and culture. The aim was to create an institution for developing a cadre of high-level manpower, qualified in various fields. The focus was on the development of teaching and research facilities that can be used to provide solutions to problems of national development.
The University has continued to be a renowned centre of excellence over the years. Known as the most beautiful campus South of Sub Sahara Africa, it has produced among its staff, a Nobel Laureate and five National Merit Award Winners and has blazed the trail in the inventions of modern technologies applicable for alleviating some of society’s challenges today. From an enrolment figure of 244 at inception, Obafemi Awolowo University as at 2016/2017 academic session had a total student enrolment figure of 25,023. Also, the University which took off with a staff strength of 94 members, has grown to have a staff profile of 4,767 comprising 1,399 academic staff and 3,368 Non-teaching staff.
THE POSITION AND DUTIES
The University Registrar is a Principal Officer and the Chief Administrative Officer of the University, who is responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the day-to-day administration of the University except for financial matters which fall within the purview of the Bursar. The Registrar is also the Secretary to the Governing Council, Senate, Convocation, Congregation and other statutory bodies as defined by the University Laws. He/ She shall also perform all other duties assigned to him/ her by the Council and/or the Vice-Chancellor from time to time.
The ideal candidate must possess a good University honours degree and a Masters degree. He/She must also have at least fifteen (15) years post qualification experience, out of which a minimum of five (5) years must have been spent in a position not less than Deputy Registrar in a Federal University.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
The appointment is for a single tenure of five (5) years only, while salary and other conditions of service shall be as approved for Registrars of Federal Universities by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Governing Council of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
The person who will be Registrar, given the complexity and scientific nature of the administrative processes of a 21st century University, must not only be a goal-getter but must also be able to show drive, exceptional initiative, great ability for institutional networking with the outside world and must have a suave mien that typifies a 21st Century world class University.
In addition, the ideal candidate shall be:
- Less than 60 years of age by June 1, 2018;
- A person of impeccable integrity and strong moral character with ability to relate excellently with staff, students and the general public;
- A person with an articulate vision for the development of the University in general and the Registry in particular, combined with a strong passion to implement the vision;
- Highly conversant with the intricacies and peculiarities of a Federal University system;
- Of good physical and mental health, pleasant disposition
- Up-to-date in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills.
- A person of strong character, sound leadership skills and ability to instill confidence and engender trust in his/her members of staff;
- Devoid of any criminal record; and
- Able to demonstrate sagacity and wisdom in the face of crisis or undesirable situations.
Method of Application
Candidates are required to submit twenty-five (25) copies of word-processed applications and up-to-date detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three (3) referees to the Vice-Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife and marked ‘Confidential: for the attention of the Vice-Chancellor’ at the left hand top corner of the envelope to reach him not later than six (6) weeks from the date of publication. Late applications will NOT be entertained and only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
- Full Name (Surname first in capital letters).
- Post Applied for.
- Date and place of birth (attach birth certificate/sworn affidavit).
- State of Origin, Senatorial District and Local Government Area (if a Nigerian).
- Permanent Home Address.
- Current Postal Address/including G.S.M Telephone number.
- Marital Status
- Number of Children and their Ages.
- Institutions Attended with dates.
- Academic/Professional qualifications and distinctions obtained with dates (attach copies of credential)
- Work Experience with dates.
- Present Employment, Status, Salary (if any).
- Service to national and international bodies.
- Extra-Curricular Activities.
- Any physical challenge?
- Names and Addresses of three (3) referees who must have been closely associated with candidate’s academic/work experience.
- Signature and Date
Each application should include twenty-five (25) copies of the candidate’s Vision for the University as well as the names and addresses of three (3) referees. Each referee must be contacted by the applicant to forward, directly to the Vice-Chancellor, a confidential report on the candidate’s character, academic and managerial competencies in a properly sealed envelope marked “Post of Registrar: Referee’s report” at the top left corner of the envelope within the period allowed for the submission of the application.
Applicants are also expected to log on to apply.oauife.edu.ng to complete the online application and print out the completed form. The printed online application form, along with the hard copies of the application document, is to be submitted under confidential cover within 6 weeks from the date of advertisement and addressed to: The Vice-Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
D. O. Awoyemi
Registrar and Secretary to the Governing Council