The creation of a department of Psychology in the Faculty of Social Sciences was approved by the University of Ife Senate during the 1976-1977 academic year. Precisely, the Department was established in October 1977, and commenced academic activities with part-time lecturers, among which are Dr. C.G.M. Bakare (now a Professor) of the Department of Guidance and Counseling, University of Ibadan, Dr. E.O. Atolagbe of the Department of Psychology of the same University. Others from Ife, were Dr. Dayo Adejumo (Late Professor Adejumo of blessed memory), Dr. Dibu-Ojerinde (now a Professor) of the Department of Educational Foundations and Counselling, and currently the Registrar of Joint Admission Matriculations Board (JAMB) , Dr. Eileen Wilson who later joined the department as a full-time Lecturer I in 1982, and Mr. Akinsola Olowu (now a Professor) who was a part-time lecturer, before being transferred from the registry to become Assistant Lecturer in the Department in 1979. He was the Dean of Faculty of Social Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, from July 1995 to 1997. Professor Olowu delivered the first inaugural lecture that emanated from the department on 14th June 1994, on “Exploration into the Person.”
Meanwhile, the department has grown in all ramifications. Department of Psychology at its inception offered a B.Sc. (Social Sciences) Psychology Degree, but today, three more programmes have been added to it. These are Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Psychology and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Psychology, and the latest is Master in Managerial Psychology (M.M.Psych). In term of students’ enrolment, there are presently 370 including 22 postgraduate students in the department.
Vision and Mission
The Psychology Department in Obafemi Awolowo University has a MISSION to prepare students for graduate study in psychology and related fields, and to equip students with relevant skills needed for employment at various areas of human endeavour. The VISION is of a top rated University in Africa, ranked among the best in the world, whose products occupy leadership positions in the public and private sector of the Nigerian and global economy, that has harnessed modern technology, social, economic and financial strategies, built strong partnerships and linkages within and outside Nigeria and whose research contributes a substantial proportion of innovations to the Nigerian economy. The Department has strong will to attain excellence in the following core value areas; Teaching, Integrity, Scholarship, Leadership, Research and Community involvement. The OBJECTIVES of the department of psychology are as follows:
- To produce graduates of international standard, with appropriate knowledge and skills in their field of study, who will be highly employable and able to employ themselves
- To provide high quality research and development activities that will promote the development of the Nation and enhance the image of the University and researchers.
- To harness modern technology especially ICT and modern social, economic and financial strategies to run an efficient and effective academic programme and institutional management.
- To provide services those have relevance to and impact on the local community and the Nation.
- To provide conditions of study, work and living in the University Community that is of appropriate standard.
- To expand assess to tertiary education in the face of unmet demand.
- To operate as an equal opportunity educational institution, sensitive to the principle of gender equity and non-discriminatory on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion or physical disability.