Department of Pharmaceutics
- To contribute to the overall training of undergraduate pharmacy students in the areas of General Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Technology, Dispensing and Pharmaceutical Microbiology.
- To provide postgraduate training in any specialized area in Physical Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Technology and Pharmaceutical Microbiology.
- To conduct research in the areas of basic and applied Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Technology, Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology.
- To undertake research on locally available raw materials and active agents for the pharmaceutical industry in Nigeria.
- To contribute to the provision of competent manpower for pharmaceutical services, industries, research institutes and universities
- To undertake research in the development of pharmaceuticals from synthetic and natural products.
- To provide scientific basis for the ethno medical uses of many local plants.
- To serve as consultants for the development, evaluation and analysis of pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical processes.
- The areas of research in the department include the following:-
- Formulation and stability studies.
- Use of Local Plant materials in dosage form development.
- Microbial quality of Pharmaceutical products
- Evaluation and mechanism of action of antimicrobial agents from plants.
- Epidemiology of antibiotic resistant organisms.
- Research into natural products development.
Achievements of the Department
- Development of locally available materials as pharmaceutical excipients e.g. starch and gums from various plant sources have been evaluated for their potential use in pharmaceutical formulations.
- Formulation of phytomedicines for use as gargle, mosquito repellent; topical antibacterial lotion and scabicidal agents.
- Scientific confirmation and evaluation of the efficacy of locally available plants used for their antimicrobial effects in ethnomedicine.
- Identification of different pathotypes of E. coli involved in childhood diarrhoea in Ile-Ife and environs.