The department came into existence in the mid-seventies as an Audio-Visual Centre. Between 1976 and 1978, it provided support services for enriching teaching and research of students and lecturers spreading across different faculties and departments. There are two units in the department i.e. the academic and the technical units.
The technical provides support services like audio, video and photographic coverages of important university events such as: inaugural lectures, convocation ceremonies, congregation and other special public relations event as directed by the Vice-Chancellor. The academic section is responsible for teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The postgraduate programmes that the department teaches are:
- M.Ed/M.A. Education (Educational Technology)
- M.Phil Education (Educational Technology)
- Ph.D. Education (Educational Technology)
The department teaches as well as coordinates some undergraduate courses. The DET 202, An Introduction to Educational Technology and Communications is a Faculty wide compulsory course that the department teaches. The department used to house as well as coordinated the B.Ed. Yoruba Education, B.Ed. Fine Arts Education and B.Ed. Music Education programme.
- To make the public and professionals aware of the need to promote national development through Educational Technology.
- To promote man power development; mass media in general and Educational Technology specifically.
- To provide expertise/consultation for organization on installation and setting up of media outfit, personnel development and administration.
- To promote/encourage outreach programme through media to breach the gap between the town and the gown.
The following are the objectives of the department:
- To run workshops and seminars for various categories of users of educational media for the purpose of updating and upgrading their knowledge and skills in the utilization of educational resources to support instruction.
- To provide university-wide media services for academic staff, students and other staff members for the purpose of improving instruction and learning.
- To build up a pool of basic and essential instructional media materials and equipment in a central unit in the university, for storage and retrieval.
- To provide training through workshop, seminars, orientation programme, etc. In the operation and use of instructional media materials and equipment for lecturers, students and other users of the institute’s services.
- To provide and coordinate media services in lecture rooms, theatres, auditoria for large classes etc. With respect to public address systems, projection, play back of programmes.
- Continue the design and teaching of academic course for undergraduate and postgraduate programme.
- Undertake research studies to improve theoretical knowledge for innovation and more effective approaches in the use of media resources in education.
- Assist lecturers and students to plan, design and produce their own materials for teaching, learning and research purposes.
- Produce media materials such as slides, flat pictures, overhead transparencies, charts, diagrams, models films strips, audio and videotapes, etc. for use in instruction by lecturers and students.
- Record and playback audio and video tape materials to support instruction.
- Establish designing and production of prototype instructional packages for all levels of education. Avenues for such prototypes to be produced on commercial basis for the country.
- Develop and produce multimedia presentation to aid instruction.